Moose and beet shepherd's pie
A recipe by Simon-Pierre Murdock from Morille Québec
Portions: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 lbs. of chopped moose meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of camelina oil
- ¼ cup of red wine
- ½ cup of BBQ sauce
- 4 peeled potatoes
- 2 peeled beets
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 can of green peas or frozen green peas
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 1 small bag of cheese curds
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Save the hot water for cooking the beets. In another bowl, mash the potatoes, adding the milk and butter until creamy. Add Parmesan cheese, cheese curds and pepper, then set aside.
- Plunge the beets into the hot water and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the onion, then the chopped moose. Deglaze with red wine, add the BBQ sauce, simmer for 5 minutes, and then add the green peas. Cook only a few minutes to preserve the texture.
- In an ovenproof dish, place the moose and vegetable mixture.
- Pour creamed corn over the meat. Add the cheesy potatoes on top.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, take out the beets and puree them in a blender.
- Place the beet coulis at the bottom of the plate and add the shepherd's pie on top!