Stay schedule overview
Here is an outline of the schedule for a five night stay with a group of four people for two nights at Auberge Port-Menier and three nights at Auberge McDonald. This schedule is subject to change and is for information purposes only.
The schedule is designed to allow you to photograph a wide variety of animals and to capture the most beautiful landscapes of Anticosti in the best light for photography. The activities may therefore change depending on the light, the weather, the presence of wildlife in certain areas, the tide, and your photo priorities. Hiking is done on trails in the forest, along the shoreline, and in the riverbed. There is no climbing, but you may have to walk 5 to 6 km or more during the hikes. We will take a "nice long break" at each location visited so that you have plenty of time to take your pictures.
Note that this schedule may vary depending on the composition of the group and the number of nights at each inn (alternating groups). Changes may also occur due to weather conditions.
Day 1: Arrival - Port Menier and the western island
- Arrival of guests from Montreal and Quebec City around 10:30 a.m. Reception at the airport with the guides.
- Luggage pick-up and a brief visit to Port-Menier for the first pictures of deer and a glimpse of Anticosti's only village.
- Registration and check-in. Group luncheon with the guides around 11:30 a.m.
- Free time after lunch and photos near the inn. Visit to the écomusée around 1:00 p.m.: the history of the island will be highlighted, in preparation for the visits planned on the west side of the island.
- Departure for Anse-aux-Fraises, Baie-Sainte-Claire, and Pointe-Ouest around 2:00 p.m., with a picnic-style dinner brought along for later: sites rich in history offering photo opportunities galore (shipwreck, cemeteries, old house, deer, sea birds, sunset, and more)
- Outdoor dinner on the shore before or during sunset. Return to Port-Menier at dusk.
Day 2: Wildlife and sunrise in Port-Menier - Anse-aux-Fraises and Pointe-Ouest
- Rise at 4:00 a.m. (optional) to enjoy the abundance of wildlife around Port Menier during the golden and blue hour. Those who want to sleep in can still take advantage of the beautiful light and photograph the many deer that hang out near the inn and in the nearby bay area.
- Breakfast served between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m.
- Possible return to the Baie-Sainte-Claire, Pointe-Ouest, and Anse-aux-Fraises sector in the morning or afternoon.
- Photo of seals at low tide in Port-Menier bay depending on the time of day.
Day 3: Rivière Jupiter - Auberge McDonald
- Rise at 4:00 am (optional) to enjoy the sunrise once again at Port-Menier and Lac Georges.
- Breakfast will be served between 8 and 9 a.m. Departure around 9 a.m. for Rivière Jupiter, the largest river on the island and one of the most beautiful salmon rivers in Quebec.
- First stop: the magnificent Trefflé Jennis pool. Here you will see salmon swimming in crystal clear water and fly fishers at work. A polarizing filter will be useful to photograph the salmon in this pool.
- After about an hour, we will head toward the Jupiter 30 pool and its impressive cliff. A wide angle lens will allow you to capture all the splendor of this landscape.
- We will branch off to Brick sector to photograph fossils and then head to Jupiter-la-Mer for lunch at the mouth of Rivière Jupiter.
- We will spend at least three to four hours in this environment frozen in time before heading to Auberge McDonald for dinner, photos at dusk, and a good night's sleep.
Day 4: Observation River Canyon and Vauréal Falls excursion, mouth of Rivière Vauréal - Sunset
- For early risers: sunrise photos in front of Auberge McDonald or at nearby Baie-aux-Capelans.
- Breakfast around 8:00 a.m. and preparation for an excursion to Observation River Canyon and Vauréal Falls.
- A hike through the Vauréal Canyon to the base of the waterfall takes four to five hours.
- Don't forget water shoes, hat, sunscreen, and bathing suit, because you will want to dive into one of the many crystal clear pools of Rivière Vauréal.
- Return to the McDonald sector via Vauréal -la-Mer, with an opportunity to photograph the sunset in Pointe Carleton sector.
Day 5: Choice of visits among Baie-de-la-Tour, Chicotte-la-Mer, or Rivière Patate or Patate Cave
- Early morning photo session (between 4:00 and 7:00 a.m.) for sunrise at Baie-aux-Capelans or Carleton Lighthouse. Return to Auberge McDonald for breakfast around 8:00 a.m. Several choices of excursions will be offered that day.
- Visit of Baie-de-la-Tour or visit of Chicotte-la-Mer sector on the south shore of the island or Rivière Patate excursion or visit of the cave of the same name. The choices will be made according to the general interest of the group and the weather.
Day 6: Return to Port-Menier, photos in the village, dinner, and departure
- Early morning photo session near Auberge McDonald. Breakfast starting at 6:30 a.m.
- Loading of the luggage and departure for Port-Menier around 7:30 a.m.
- You will have time to take more pictures in the village and have lunch in Port-Menier, as the return flight is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Arrival in Quebec City will be around 3:30 p.m. and in Montreal around 4:45 p.m.