My first time… in a summer hut
Suggested circuits for new enthusiasts
If you don't want to miss out on the beautiful natural settings offered by Quebec's national parks, why not treat yourself to a long-distance hike with an overnight hut stay. If this is your first experience with this type of adventure, many of our destinations offer intermediate-level circuits so you can familiarize yourself with such outings. As a bonus, you'll enjoy exceptional panoramic views and a guaranteed change of scenery!
Parc national des Grands-Jardins
Nestled at the heart of the Charlevoix region, Parc national des Grands-Jardins offers you an exceptional circuit to discover this protected territory in so many different ways. Starting at Étang Malbaie, you'll walk through the dense trees of the boreal forest. After a dream night in a Pointus hut made entirely of logs, you'll hit the return trail as the forest suddenly opens up to a mountainous landscape. The view from the top of the mountain is simply magnificent: you can then fully grasp the exceptional transition of the territory that seems to have been carved with a knife.
- 5 km loop
- Departure from Étang Malbaie
- Duration: 2 days / 1 night
- Day 1: Departure from Étang Malbaie to the Pointus huts (2.5 km – Intermediate level)
- Day 2: Departure from the Pointus huts to Étang Malbaie (2.5 km – Intermediate level)
Parc national du Mont-Mégantic
Why not go stargazing as part of your introduction to long-distance summer hiking? That's what Parc national du Mont-Mégantic offers you with its trails, which may require a little more effort, but which reward those bold enough to venture forth. Strap on your hiking boots at the Discovery and Visitors Centre in Observatoire sector and head for Grande-Ourse hut. After stargazing all through the night (and getting some sleep to recharge your batteries), spend the day exploring both Mont Mégantic and Mont Saint-Joseph, only to return to sleep at the same campsite. After this exceptional stay, you’ll head back home with your head full of memories and your eyes full of stars.
- Departure from the Discovery and Visitors Centre ( Observatoire sector)
- Duration : 3 days / 2 nights
- Day 1: Departure from the Discovery and Visitors Centre ( Observatoire sector) to Grande-Ourse hut (2.2 km - Intermediate level)
- Day 2: Hike to Mont Mégantic or Mont Saint-Joseph and spend the night at the same hut (distances and level of difficulty vary depending on the hike).
- Day 3: From Grande-Ourse hut to the Discovery and Visitors Centre ( Observatoire sector) (2.2 km - Intermediate level)
Parc national des Monts-Valin
What if you were to choose to cross Parc national des Monts-Valin as your first long-distance hike? By taking three existing routes, Pic-de-la-Tête-de-Chien, Pic-du-Grand-Corbeau, and Pic-de-la-Hutte, you'll cross the park from east to west over a reasonable distance of 20 km through a vast array of terrains and landscapes. The highest point of the hike is at 980 m above sea level. You can start from the Discovery and Visitors Centre or from Lac Martin-Valin. Hikers have access to Le Pionnier and Le Fantôme mountain huts. And some hikers will surely want to take advantage of the shuttle and luggage transport service on offer to simplify and complete their adventure.
- Departure from the Discovery and Visitors Centre
- Duration : 3 days / 2 nights
- Day 1: Departure from the Discovery and Visitors Centre to Le Pionnier hut (8 km - Intermediate level)
- Day 2: From Le Pionnier hut to Le Fantôme hut (8 km - Intermediate level)
- Day 3: From Le Fantôme hut to the Discovery and Visitors Centre (16 km - Intermediate level)