Stewed bear with local forest berries
Ingredients (for 10 people)
- 2 kg of cubed bear meat (shoulder and thigh)
- 100 g butter
- 2 chopped white onions
- 2 carrots cut into small cubes
- 1 stalk of celery cut into small cubes
- 1 chopped head of garlic
- 50 g flour
- 100 ml elderberry or cranberry balsamic vinegar
- 500 ml red wine
- 200 g of berries from our forests (aronia, cranberries, elderberries, blueberries, sea buckthorn, etc.)
- Salt, pepper, thyme, and some juniper berries
- Fry the meat cubes in butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and fry well for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and juniper berries, then the flour. Mix well and add the vinegar and red wine.
- Boil for a few minutes while stirring and add water or stock to the meat. Add the thyme and simmer very gently for about 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- When cooked, add the berries and simmer for a few minutes. Check the seasoning and serve with wild rice or potatoes.