Recipe for bourguignon bear shoulder cubes with vermouth
A recipe from the Bravejack team
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) of bear shoulder meat cut into 2 cm (¼ inch) cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsps) of vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 45 ml (3 tbsps) of flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) of red vermouth
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 500 ml (2 cups) of beef broth
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter
- 225 g (1/2 lb) of quartered button mushrooms
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of pealed and blanched pearl onions
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Season the meat.
- In a stewpot, brown the bear cubes over high heat with the oil for five minutes.
- Add the onion and reduce the heat.
- Sweat the onion for two minutes, add the flour, and stir.
- Deglaze with the vermouth and stir so that there are no lumps.
- Add the beef broth and the thyme and bring to a boil.
- Cover and put in the oven for three hours.
- Check if it is cooked: the meat should flake easily using a fork.
- In a very hot pan, sauté the mushrooms with butter and brown them.
- Add the pearl onions to heat them in the pan, add to the stew, and mix.
- Serve piping hot.